[Wendingen] Bernard Eilers (1878-1951). Collection of 9 large photos of buildings
largely published in Wendingen and partly exhibited at the 1925 World Exhibition in Paris, all 35 x 48 cm (portrait or landscape) 4x with verso, label designed by T.H. Wijdeveld especially for World Exhibition, with many more stamps and labels (see indicated per photo below), all with titles on reverse side with pen and pencil, all in foil under modern mount with both sides visible, together in custom made cloth dropback box with silver title "Bernard F. Eilers. Wendingen", large folio.
Important collection photos of buildings of prominent Dutch architects, minor defects here and there but in good condition. See Anneke van Veen, Flip Bool, and others, Bernard F. Eilers 1878-1951, Haarlem, 2003 (Monografieën van Nederlandse fotografen 12; Catalogus van de tentoonstelling van Eilers' werk gehouden van 21 november 2003 t/m 29 februari 2004), pg. 42-44: "In 1916 a number of Eilers' photographs were first published in Architectura, since 1893 the mouthpiece of Arti et Amicitiae. A year later he confirmed his affinity with the circle of Amsterdam architects by becoming a member of the society. At Arti et Amicitiae Eilers no doubt closely followed the founding of the new magazine Wendingen which succeeded Architectura in 1918." (...) "In 1925 a selection of Eiler's photographs were dispatched to the Exposition des Arts Décoratifs et Industriels in Paris. The Dutch pavilion designed by J.F. Staal and the exhibitions Wijdeveld mounted, created a disproportionate emphasis on the Amsterdam movement. 'Paris' meant official recognition of the Amsterdam School as the exponent of Dutch architecture, much to the dismay of dissenters as Theo van Doesburg. Eiler's photographs - 38 x 48 enlargements - hung in testimony to his unique position as the School's preferred photographer: Van der Mey's Scheepvaarthuis, De Klerk's and Kramer's housing blocks, the country homes in Park Meerwijk, Gratama's working class dwellings, Vorkink's and Wormser's Villa 't Reigersnest, Kramer's interiors e tutti quanti - it was a feast of recognition for followers of the movement, but a chamber of horrors for functionalists and constructivists."
Includes, with named details on verso, following photos: (1) "C.J. Blaauw. Landbouwhoogeschool Wageningen"; stamp of Eilers, label of Wijdeveld and label of Tentoonstellingsraad V.B. & V.K. no. 25. Wendingen: 5th year, 11/12, 1925, pg. 4; (2) "M. de Klerk. Woningbouw A'Dam Zaanstraat" [Eigen Haard]; stamps of Eilers and "Monsterzegel Amsterdam", labels of Wijdeveld, Tentoonstellingsraad V.B. & V.K. no. 148 and Duisburg no. 84. Wendingen: 6th year, 9/ 10, 1924, pg. 13; (3) "M. de Klerk. Clubhuis te Amsterdam" [Amsterdamse Roeivereniging]; stamps of Eilers and "Monsterzegel Amsterdam" (2x), labels of Wijdeveld, Tentoonstellingsraad V.B. & V.K. no. 155, Zürich no. 37 Holland, Haarlem no. 57, Duisburg no. 91, Scheveningen no. 78 and Edinburgh 51. Wendingen: 6th year 9/ 10, (1924) pg. 27; (4) "Vorkink & Wormser. Buitenhuis te Oostvoorne"; stamps of Eilers and "Monsterzegel Amsterdam", labels of Wijdeveld, Tentoonstellingsraad V.B. & V.K. no. 305 and Duisburg no. 187. Wendingen: 4th year, 6, 1921, pg. 9; (5) "Publieke Werken. Raadhuis te Amsterdam" [architecten A.R. Hulshoff en Nico Lansdorp, nu Hotel The Grand]; no stamps, label of Tentoonstellingsraad V.B. & V.K. no. 744. Wendingen: 8th year, 11, 1927, pg. 2; (6)
"Half ondergrondse privaten Valeriusplein" [architect Jan de Meyer]; no stamps, label of Tentoonstellingsraad V.B. & V.K. no. 559. Wendingen: 8th year, 11, 1927, pg. 16; (7) "Huize Tamalone, Mevena, Rogier. Bergen 1917" [Park Meerwijk, architect Piet Kramer]; stamps of Eilers and Bureau Piet Kramer, labels of Wijdeveld, Tentoonstellingsraad V.B. & V.K. no. 166, Zürch no. 46 Holland, Haarlem no. 63 en Scheveningen no. 87. Triplex house from 1917-1918, destroyed by fire three years after construction; (8) "J.F. Staal. Woningbouw Watergraafsmeer" [Ons Huis, Eigen Haard]; stamps of J. van Dijk and "Monsterzegel Amsterdam", labels of Tentoonstellingsraad V.B. & V.K. no. 284, Haarlem no. 143 and Duisburg no. 161; (9) "Dick Greinen. Arch. B.N.A. Clubgebouw v/d Zeil en Roeivereeniging "Nieuwe Meer" te Aalsmeer. Ontwerp 1924 uitgevoerd 1926"; stamp of Eilers, labels of Tentoonstellingsraad V.B. & V.K. no. 124, Haarlem no. 41 and Scheveningen no. 66.