Friedländer, Hamburg, 1885. 85 x 65 cm. Lith. no. 601.
One fold. line sl. torn in lower margin, mild toning.
*Circus Blumenfeld was founded in 1811 by Moritz Hirsch Levy. During the 19th century the circus became one of the largest of its time, and was passed on from father to son(s). In 1874 the circus obtained a residence in Guhrau. These new winter quarters were often shared with the Jewish Strassburger circus, a circus linked by marriage for several generations. In 1920 the circus set up their permanent base in Magedburg. However, like many other Jewish enterprises, Blumenfeld fell victim to the economical crisis and rise of national socialism; they went bankrupt at the end of the 1920s and only one family member was to survive the Holocaust.